Monday, October 15, 2007

Scrapbook Page Ideas - Creative Matting

When coming up with new scrapbook page ideas I often turn to my scrapbook papers for inspiration. Quite often they are all I need to get the creative juices flowing and create a stunning layout.

For this page, I turned to a bright collection of Chatterbox papers. I love bright colours but when using them, you have to be careful that your photos and embellishments don't get lost in an overwhelming background.

The easiest way to prevent that from happening and make your photos stand out is to use strong matting techniques. For example, on this page, I have matted my photo first with a white mat to give it a light edge, then with a red patterned paper for interest and then with a strong dark blue to ensure it stands out from the background.

My using multiple contrasting mats you are literally saying to the viewer "Hey, my photo is here! Look at it!" Your page may be busy and colourful, but your photo still stands out.

This is a very easy yet very effective technique. When you are sitting down to scrap today, think about how to incorporate it into your scrapbook page ideas and let me know what you've come up with. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: